Monday, March 5, 2012

My first pieced quilt!

Ok, so I promised EASY tutorials.  I'll be honest, I LOVE to sew, however, I am not the most patient person in the world!  I honestly, can't sew a straight line longer than 12 inches.  Follow the tutorials below and check out my pictures, and you too can piece a quilt.
I found this tutorial, and these 2 sisters make it pretty straight forward.
Disappearing 9 Patch tutorial


You can so straight to the tutorial, to get detailed instructions, but what I want to show you is that even I can do this, in my very little spare time.

First, choose some fabrics that you love!  For me, this is actually very difficult, because in general, I LOVE fabric.  I ended up going with a Moda Charm pack.  That way, I had a good selection of coordinating fabrics and even better, they were already pre-cut.


The next thing is to arrange them in a 9 patch.  This is pretty simple, 3 across, 3 down for a total of 9 squares

In the picture above, I have already sewn them in 3's across, and in the next picture, I have sewn my 3 rows together to form my "9 Patch".


What I want to point out here...is that I am not perfect at this, and we may get better at this together.  Check out the next picture.

Can you see above that my four points don't match exactly?  It's okay, because watch what happens next!!  Take your rotary cutter, and cut as follows in the next few pictures.



The tutorial on a Quilt Story will give you more details, but because this is a disappearing 9 patch, perfection is not a necessity!  Once you have cut your 9 patch into 4 larger squares, rearrange to suit your taste and re-sew.


Tada... Now, you could do this with fewer fabric choices than I have, but this is turning out to be a fun quilt.  Here are the patches I have completed.  It's only 4 "patches" and measures 26" by 26", so it's hardly a quilt, but I can't wait to get finished and share my results!


I am not a SEAMSTRESS...I am a novice at this but man do I have fun doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment